Sunday, January 27, 2013

Who would have thunk it?

So...
Why am I writing today?  Because yesterday I walked my second race, my first 5K run/walk. The Freeze Your Franny Run.

It was a clear, cold, 29 degree day.  The paths were salted, the sky icy blue and sunny.  I was one of nearly 1,000 souls who participated in the race.

Daria walked with me, Donna ran, and she brought her friend, Dianna who walked.  5K. 2.3ish miles.

Not that far?  When less than a year ago I hurt so bad I couldn't walk a mile.  I lost my breath going a few hundred feet.  I survived three surgeries, six months of immobilization, and lost 30-some pounds.

I've never liked "working out".  I abhorred the idea of joining a gym, being on the treadmill, and especially classes. I've loved getting my exercise as a part of my life, either in my work or getting to work, at home in cleaning and gardening, or in play.   But I wasn't doing it.  I had gained 70 pounds.  Then, one day I just  knew I needed to get fit.

I knew if I wanted to enjoy the remainder of my life, I had to do what was needed to make fitness a part of my lifestyle. So, slowly, but surely I'm becoming an athlete.  Don't laugh.  Please. I said, "slowly."

Yesterday I walked a 5K.

Man what a victory!

What's next?
I have three more races planned for the next few months and am considering checking out trail running!

Love,
DJ (^8&;

No comments:

Post a Comment